Saturday, September 24, 2011

The Start of Something Big

Hello friends, who won't actually be reading this. I've come today to share my beginning with you. The beginning of... my blog!

To get you started, this is about my pursuit of happiness, which is a nutshell is:

-Programming

-Video Games

-Music

-Other stuff I feel like including :D

More in-depth:
It'll be about programming challenges I'm currently facing, or pondering. Finished projects (which I'll upload :D).
It'll be about video games, experiences I think are worth sharing, reviews and the such.
It'll be about music. All kinds of music (probably Electro/Dubstep/House based, since that's the kind of music I listen to most).
And finally, it'll be about random geeky stuff I find, and I feel like sharing.
Now that's out of the way, I'll probably be posting every few days, definitely at least once a week.


Now that, and the other that is out of the way, the beginning of my first post!

Recently I've been starting to learn the programming language Python. (For those who haven't, try it; it's a wonderful language) I started doing the Project Euler problems with it (http://projecteuler.net/). I faced a problem with it early on, problem 3 in fact. I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to solve it.

The problem is to find the largest prime factor of the number '600851475143'. Of course that'd just be easy to look up on Wolfram Alpha, but that's no fun. So I started diving in.
My first thought was to go from 600851475143 / 2 down until I found a factor, which was prime. (I checked the prime part with a simple isPrime(n) function). I started it a few days ago at around 5:00 PM, left it on until I went to bed, when I saw it hadn't finished I stopped it and shut my computer off. The next morning I started programming again, I saw nothing wrong, so I thought it was just taking a while. I started hacking away.
After a few hours of tireless programming I gave up, and started on Euler problem 4. I'm just coming back to Euler problem 3.
While I don't want you to give the answer away, what might one of you start to do to figure this one out?

2 comments: